Sunday, August 31, 2008

entirely, unbelievably amazing

"When the enemy comes in like a flood, the Spirit of the Lord will lift up a standard against him."
Isaiah 59:19

We got home from our trip to visit the new lady in our family late last night so it wasn't until this morning at church that we got the news that tragedy had struck our little community with not one but two fatal car accidents on Friday night. Yes, two separate accidents in two separate areas at two separate times that killed 2 teenage boys.

One will impact our school community. A 15 year old boy died with another teenager at the wheel. This one happened just 2 hours before a football scrimmage and the reason they knew something had happened is because the boys never showed up for the pre-game pictures. They canceled the game.

The other will impact our school district (the school my kids should be in). As that accident happened just 4 miles from the school and involved a high school boy from there. This one happened following an FFA meeting.

Though these accidents will not affect me personally as I do not know either of the boys or their families, I can feel the darkness and grief that permeates our community. But anger rises up in me. Anger toward the enemy of our souls. Honestly I believe that he knows his time of access to our lives is short and he is trying his hardest to get his shots in.

That enemy whose 'job' is to kill, steal and destroy. He has been doing it since creation and will continue until he is bound by the Savior of our world.

During this time of tragedy, hope rises within me. Because of Isaiah 59:19. It PROMISES that when the enemy comes in like a flood that the Spirit of the Lord WILL rise up against him. I call on all heaven to execute justice on that enemy. Because our God, our Savior's 'job' is to bring life, and that more abundantly.

So I will exude life. Not flippant, non-compassion for those affected. But a hope-filled love that comforts humanity while in prayer, it wars against the Destroyer of Life.

This is not a good time to get into a theology debate with me because I am a passionate believer that God is good and in no way had any part in either of these accidents. I don't believe that God needed these boys in heaven. I don't believe that God has His reasons to allow these deaths. But I do believe that God gets His glory. Through this even, God's name can be glorified and He can turn everything for good to those that love Him. He can bring life, even abundant life to our community if we will love Him and call on Him and bring Him into the situation.

Our enemy is a liar. He is a stealer. He is a murderer. His hatred toward humanity is unbelievable. But our God is good. He is faithful. He is Hope. He is Life. He is the Defender of the Weak. And His love for humanity is entirely, unbelievably amazing.

4 comments:

Christin said...

AMEN

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

What you just said right there? It's the only reason to wake up in the mornings.

Thanks for sharing.

ConservaChick said...

You wrote

"I am a passionate believer that God is good and in no way had any part in either of these accidents"

AMEN!

Anonymous said...

Preach it SISTER! I love you! I am sick and tired of hearing..."WHY GOD, why did you do this?"..blaming who?
I also am a PASSIONATE believer that our living, giving God- is a good, and gracious God!

You go girl!