Sunday, March 30, 2008

our doctrinal ducks

Whew. The week is coming to an end. You see, in a pastor's life - Monday really is the first day of the week, our Sabbath. Because it's definitely not Sunday. When asked by My Beloved what my plans were for Monday, I replied, "absolutely nothing....except going to coffee with friends." But that was before I realized that I'll be leaving on Thursday for a women's conference for 3 days. Ah well.

This morning went well. I pray I challenged and didn't condemn because it was a pretty intense word. Some responded to a time of consecrating ourselves to being used for this "Mission:Unstoppable" by using our 'much' - so that's a good sign.

Tonight I finally read Brian Zahnd's blog from earlier this week. It's very good, though lengthy. Here's a short portion....

The reason this matters and is not just about getting our doctrinal ducks in a row is that it effects the way we think and live as Christians. If we think the great goal of Christianity is to go to heaven, we will develop an escapist mentality which will cause us to abandon the very purpose for which we were created: To bear the image of God as beings who are authentically human and who exercise wise dominion over the earth. If we misunderstand the nature of salvation we will be trying to escape the earth while God is trying to enter the earth. We will being trying abandon what God is trying to redeem. If we make this mistake in our thinking (theology) about God, man and salvation, it will be very difficult for us to fully cooperate with God’s great purposes in redemption.

If you have a few minutes, read the whole thing HERE. It's really good stuff. And I totally love that phrase, 'doctrinal ducks'. Hehe. So funny.

4 comments:

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

Oooo, I've so been struggling with this very issue. How do we live in the world and influence it while we hope in our eternal salvation?

I'm so one tracked minded sometimes.

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Hey girlie...
I really enjoyed reading Brian's excerpt, so I will head on over there to finish it up. You have linked to him before and I enjoyed what he had to say...

Anonymous said...

Yes!! Good stuff.

Shari

Anonymous said...

Yes! I totally get it! And I have lived that way for much of my Christian walk, until recently. God has really revealed to me what my purpose is in this life, not specifically in the way of particular gifts, but of the calling on our lives to do His will here, for the benefit of others and not just to get by struggling with my own walk and issues. I am now searching for people everyday that need God's touch. And they are there!