Thursday, August 30, 2007

seizing the opportunity

I never thought I say it but, this mamma's goin' to work. Before you all tar and feather me for abandoning the SAHM ranks, let me share.

The only 'real' job I've ever had was working in our church office off and on for the 8 years My Beloved was associate pastor at our last church. The kids went to work with us and between the two of us someone actually got some work done while the other corralled the kiddos. Fun times... cough, cough, choke. So my only 'real' job was busy but not separation from my kids.

Times have changed and the older girls now go to public school - grades 1 and 4. My 'baby' turned 4 this summer and is now in preschool 3 mornings a week. These are decisions we made because we are bound to walk in obedience to our God-King, not because I was ready to ditch my kids 7 hours a day. God's Kingdom is further advancing because of the kids being in public school...really. The growth and character we've seen formed in the girls the last year has been amazing. Like the young Jesus, they are growing in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and man. Very cool.

So now, needless to say, we are in a very different season of life. And, shoot me, I've grown quite bored. I clean, I cook, I mother my babies, I smother my husband {with love}, I read, I pray and....then what? I do a puzzle. :o) (inside joke) We want to live a BIG life, like a VERY BIG God-life. One verse the burns in my heart continually is Colossians 4:3 "Behave yourselves wisely in your relations with those of the outside world, making the very most of the time and seizing (buying up) the opportunity."

So an opportunity to behave wisely and make the most of the time has arisen and I'm going to seize it. I'll work at our local cafe just 3 hours - 3 days a week. It's right over the lunch hour - so the big girls will be in school and My Beloved will keep little Bird during those hours. I have Monday off which was a blessing because that's My Beloved's day off. We will have 3 childless hours that day - woohoo! You do know that as a wife, your first obligation is to your husband (not your kids) don't you? :o)

Another verse (really I'm not preaching here) I cling to is Proverbs 31:16 (Amplified is best) "She considers a [new] field before she buys or accepts it [expanding prudently and not courting neglect of her present duties by assuming other duties]..." So, I've considered and will expand prudently so I don't neglect my present {more important} duties. My Beloved is totally pumped about the job - he hates to see me depressed - though, I think he really is just thinking there may be free food involved in this deal and that he may get to benefit from tips. :o)

So after 1 hour of training on Tuesday - today is my first day. Did I mention I've never waitressed before? I have visions of sweet tea in some poor old lady's lap. God help all the folks that innocently decide to have lunch at B.C. Village Square today! But may the tips be generous anyways!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is a way to get to know EVERY person in town! I loved waitressing.

Actually, I was hoping you were going to work at Starbucks. I was gonna cozy up to get some pro bono coffee and merchandise.

9 hours a week is nothing and most likely wasted by most of us. Hope the tips are HUGE (2 quarters (: he hee)

Love yas!

Chelle said...

I'm sure you'll do great. Hope you have an awesome first day!!

javamamma said...

Yeah, I'd prefer barista to waitress but this works. I got a little bit more than 2 quarters today - my kids think it's their allowance. Ha, mommy's buying new shoes...or something.

Nen said...

congratulations. I bet you'll have a blast...

not that it is ANY of my business what goes on in your family... :) but I have no doubt you and your beloved have sought God and have clear direction. And if for some reason you are wrong, its not the end of the world!! - it just means you change plans and God uses it anyway!

yeah for new shoes!! :) I just bought myself two lovely new shirts at the state fair with some piano money.

Anonymous said...

Season of life... no where in the Bible have I read "wives must stay home in the kitchen, bare foot and pregnant."

May God richly bless you as you enter a new season. I am sure you will be a light there. I look forward to hearing stories of what God's in and through you in this new job.

Have a great time.

Shari

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Wow! New, exciting times! Can't wait to hear how it goes, and I hope you'll have some funny stories for us. ;)

ConservaChick said...

That sounds like a lot of fun actually. I'm, super social, and have no doubt that if my kids were in school I'd HAVE to be doing something like that too. It should make for great blogging material too! ~Karlie

Kimmie said...

May God bless your new field and may he prosper you in finances and also in "relationship opportunities."

Go forth and conquer my sweet friend!

I waitressed for 18 years...and yes, I did manage to spill a few times in the course of those "serving" years. Many seeds were planted and watered, a few came to know the Lord and are presently serving Him with their lives and marriages...a few I still pray for, though now my field is at home with children who are "added on to our plot." May He receive all the glory, wherever our feet rest and our hand reach to touch.

hugs;
Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted