Saturday, June 23, 2007

take no offense dear small town readers

A disclaimer before the post: I LOVE where we live. I believe God sent us here and bonded us with this body of believers for 'such a time as this'. We are 'one of them' and that's why I can lovingly post these episodes....

A couple days ago we were 'flagged down' a block from our house by a young girl in town. Her reason? She had a turtle she just caught, in the creek that runs through town, and she was wondering if our daughter wanted it. Only in Hickville.

A day after that, we were having a short 'dream session' with a couple of guys on the church board, at McDonald's - in the town 15 minutes away (we have no McDonald's here). As we walked up, I noticed there was a FREE WI-FI sign. I said, "Oh, I shoulda brought my laptop." The response: "Oh, is that a computer thing. I always wondered what WI-FI meant."

Oh, dear Jesus. Flashbacks to the day I told the ladies I was have coffee and scones and 99.5% of them didn't know what a scone was.

But, let me repeat, I LOVE where I live. I like being the bearer of modern civilization. :o)

Oh and, let me just say that the anonymous man wondering about WI-FI is one the hardest working guys I know. And he raised kids who ARE the hardest-working young people I know. They don't have time for internet anyway.

11 comments:

JoAnna said...

My wonderful husband is from a small town. I am not. The first time I visited when we were engaged, we were at their little honky-tonk church and the pastor said the hicks were going to come up next. I lost it. It just came right out of my mouth and then my soon to be mother-in-law punched my leg. I said, "haven't they been up there all morning??" Apparently, "Hicks" is the couple's last name. ;)

javamamma said...

great story, joanna! :o)

Anonymous said...

Hillarious! Aren't you glad you get to be the foster family for all the homeless creatures in town? We'll trap the racoon that's getting in the trash and ship it to ya ..:)

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

When we were in college, we went to a tiny, tiny church in a tiny, tiny town. One day for communion meditation, a guy stood up, plopped his giant "boombox" on the communion table, said, "This really means a lot to me," hit PLAY, and Garth Brooks' "The River" played. Then entire song. All of it. And that was it. We then took the bread and the wine. Only in a small town. I doubt even the mayor there knows what Wi-Fi is.

javamamma said...

No more furry creatures, K. Our little Janie (shoulda-been-named-Sheba-
which-means-troublemaker)is enough fur for this home. We only do doubles on reptiles. :o)

Kimmie said...

Okay~

I guess I must kind of be in the dark... not sure what WI-FI is, still trying to figure out the meme thing...
I have been praying 2 years for a turtle...found one on vacation in Washington D.C, he was strolling across the road, but he lived in the National Arborateum-which for a turtle is heaven on earth, so needless to say, I am still praying for a turtle.{plus I didn't want to go to jail for taking a turtle out of a National Park, though I did seriously ponder it...I was carrying a brown paper Starbucks bag, for a few moments he resided there ;-)
* (be happy to take the raccoon too...if you are offering ;-)

Kimmie in the Ct outback
Mama to 6 (who are probably in the dark too?)LOL
one homemade and 5 adopted

reallyniceday said...

I'll talk the 6 yr old into trapping it instead of practicing with the pellet gun on him...poor guy (the racoon, that is)

Chelle said...

Too funny! Small town life has been an adjustment for this city girl, but tons of fun. The turtle thing was just cute. My kids have a "pet" frog in the backyard that they've adopted. We live right on the edge of town and across our back fence is a pasture where a farmer often pastures his cows. The kids also consider these their pets. LOL

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Regarding your comment on my blog (sorry I actually replied via email, but it didn't go thru):

Yes! You are exactly right about the risk thing, it is so much easier to hang back and just let someone else do it.
I know that God gave me that much needed season, but you are right, He is drawing me out now.
Truthfully, I am reserved in what I said on the blog. God has been pricking my heart toward a specific ministry lately, now I just have to figure out how He wants it to come about. I know He will show me..
Thank you so much for your prayers, friend, I can always use them! And no, no migraine here...I LOVE discussion!

ConservaChick said...

HA! We are city folk transplanted to small town life. This email was a "hoot" (small town vocab). In our town, I've already met three guys named Bubba.. No joke!

Mary said...

In a small town....ignorance is bliss. And then I burst into song..."Happy trails to you, until we meet again"!! Actually, I've heard that sung at McDonalds in that bigger little town down the road. :) No just kidding. Blessings.