Monday, June 25, 2007

corny, sappy thing to say

My husband is my best friend. I know, I know, it's a corny, sappy thing to say but it's true. I so enjoy talking with him. I like the fact I don't have to talk up to him or down to him. We're on the same page in life. And that's a fabulous feeling in this age, in this culture where marriages fall apart as quickly as a Dollar Tree toy.

We're very likely on the verge of some tremendous changes for our church. I like that we can have honest conversations about what that means for our church, for him, for me. His 'job' is not something he does and that I'm not a part of. I don't have an outside life that he is not connected too. That doesn't mean we're at each other's side 24/7 but that our lives are orchestrated so that we don't have 'a life of our own' - apart from each other. God has given us a common passion to make His name famous and we work together to achieve that, whatever it looks like for us, in each season of our lives.

We were discussing, last night with our 20-something 'Sex God' crew, about being naked and unashamed. In the depths of our soul, we all crave to be able to be totally naked (not just physically, but that too) with someone and not rejected for how we look, how we feel, or how we act. It's very hard for us to know that we have that in God and we should have that in our spouse, as well.

I'm so thankful to have just that in My Beloved. I honestly think he must be the most understanding male I know. Not that he's all sissified and weak but he's strong and definitely reveals that strength when I am weak. And doesn't dish out condemnation in my weak moments. And isn't that what we all want in a friend?


In other thoughts....
If you noticed my side bar, I finished Velvet Elvis, which was tremendous. I resoundingly amen'd, yeah right'ed, and hmmmm'd throughout the book. My Beloved read somewhere that Rob Bell is accused of preaching a crossless Christ. I'm guessing the accuser has never read his books or heard more than 2 of his messages. Entirely inaccurate accusation.

So I found books 2 & 3 of C.S. Lewis' space trilogy and I'm currently about halfway through Perelandra. They're very intriguing novels. God kinda distanced me from reading any fiction for most of the last 10 years (gotta live in reality not a fantasy world, right?) but I have really enjoyed reading The Chronicles of Narnia and then the Space Trilogy this year.

Yesterday afternoon, between lunch with 2 other families at our house and our young adults group, I got a good start on An Unstoppable Force by Erwin Raphael McManus. I tell ya, McManus and Bell are such a breath of fresh air in this I-got-God-all-figured-out-in-this
-box-and-if-you-don't-agree-with-me-you're-compromised day of Christianity. Frankly, that unspoken, yet predominate attitude throughout most of the 'evangelical' church is nauseating - to the unsaved especially. I'm thankful ministries like this, and this, that don't claim to have God all figured out but passionately pursue Him and call those around them to 'come with me'. I wanna be one of those people that calls to those around me, 'come with me. let's follow this Jesus into the unknown. it's not an easy road because you have to give up all but He is soooo worth it. He is the only thing that will ever satisfy that craving in your soul.'

Well, this ended up being a long post....

6 comments:

Chelle said...

I'm thinking that I should bring some books with me during all these bumming around on the beach days we've been having around here. You sound like you've got some seriously good reading happening.

I'm with ya 100% about the God-in-a-box ad nauseum...

ConservaChick said...

You said you are on the verge of some tremendous changes for our church... So what's going on? I'd love to hear about it!
Great post! I'm with Rachelle about the God in the box. I think we are all on the same page right now, could y'all move here so I could get some decent fellowship? ~Karlie

Anonymous said...

I'm quite taken back that Dollar Tree has a web site. Wow. So they must know what WiFi is.....wow

Great post about hubby!

Oh, can I return my last book borrowed and borrow a few others? It's way better than buying, ya know.

javamamma said...

For sure you can borrow books - whatever I got that intrigues ya. Borrowing is definitely better than buying yourself but not quite as good as having a church budget line for my habit!

Mary said...

Hey girl! It's not corny to say your hubby is your best friend. In fact there are those who are envious of that kind of relationship. Who else would you want to spend your life with except your best friend. So ring it loud and proud girl! :) Very excited about those coming changes and praying for you guys. Love you so much. Wish you were coming with us on our trip!! Blessings.

Kimmie said...

Praying that God will continue to bless your socks off (by the post looks like he may totally blow the whole wardrobe off and into oblivion ~lol)

My husband is also my bestfriend- so I can relate. Nice to have a relationship where you are always accepted and loved.

Looking forward to reading about the changes-cool that your dh called a fast for the Body. Keep us posted!

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted