Tuesday, May 22, 2007

follow my train here....

Well, I'm just about finished with "This Day We Fight!" and found it a very timely read for me/us in this season of our lives. It's amazing how when you begin to dream about advancing the Kingdom of God, that "the enemy comes in like a flood".

Before I get to a quote from my current read, I'll share some thoughts on that verse, Isaiah 59:19... "When the enemy comes in like a flood, the Spirit of the Lord will lift up a standard against him."

God dropped those words into me several months ago. At the time it didn't seem really pertinent to our situation but it stuck with me. A couple weeks ago, it became apparent why the Lord prompted that verse in me and I began to speak it and meditate on it. Also, I wanted to know really what that 'standard' was. I've heard that a standard is like a flag, kind of a war term about raising your kingdom's flag up. In that verse, that is NOT the Hebrew word used.

It actually means to 'flit away'. I get a picture of God using His massive finger to flit away the flood of the enemy. Amazing picture to me! All it takes is the finger of God to move the rushing, rising flood waters of the enemy. Way cool!

To engrain that picture in my thoughts even more....
We had a pastor (since we're 'non-denominational', he is basically our 'overseer') come and share on Sunday night about cleansing/deliverance/encountering God. He used 1John 3:8, "...For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil." The word 'destroy' there means to grind into powder. So my spirit's eye sees God grinding these works of the devil into powder, then flitting them away. Powerful, powerful concept.

So this book, "This Day We Fight!" has stirred my spirit even more. Here's a quote that doesn't really follow the same line of thinking as the above thoughts but it's really good. :o)

"...God wants to move us forward into a future full of glorious possibilities, not fears. Some argue that fear is an ally in bringing men to repentance. Yes, fear is a policeman that keeps us from sin but cannot lead us to Christlikeness. Fear moves the soul but it is only temporary; it cannot sustain righteousness or create true purity of heart. I totally believe and delight in the fear of God, but even holy fear must be the companion of a heart that sees the treasure before us and sells all to possess it..."

This thought leads to a thought about methods of bringing people to the Lord, which I won't expand on, but this post by PBZ talks about what salvation really is. And, if you can read my mind, you will understand how his answer to 'what salvation is' corresponds with the methods I speak of. Yes, let the reader understand....

5 comments:

ConservaChick said...

I am going through the same thing, in a different way (since I'm not a pastor) but with wanting to see God's kingdom progress in my own life. Fear has been my primary cause of action for so many years. Release from it DOES wake up the enemy a bit, doesn't it.
I can't wait to read more about your journey. In fact, I'd love to hear more about what God is doing in your church!
Well, I'm off to read the post by PBZ.

javamamma said...

You can see 'who' we are (our church) at our website, bcfalive.org
And I'll share more about current dreams when I can - not released yet. :o)

Chelle said...

I loved the "flit away" picture. I've always heard the flag description of standard, but the picture you painted is incredible.

Carol G said...

Thanks for sharing that - especially the part from Isaiah. Lately I've been frustrated about how much the enemy seems to be rearing his ugly head in confusion and illness around my friends and my family and myself.

By the way, I tagged you if you are interested in listing what you are reading nowadays.

Carol

reallyniceday said...

Mike says all the time, "A lover will out work a worker at the end of the day." Reminds me of S of S 8:4