Tuesday, April 15, 2008

30 year old chick

This is what a half-ill, 30-year-old chick, who's just been shocked by a surprise party looks like.

Here's the story.... I got vomity-sick on the eve of my birthday. I woke up long enough the next 'glorious' morning to receive amazing gifts from my kids and then went back to sleep until noon. My Beloved took care of all transporting children to school. When I awoke at noon and felt a tad better, my amazing husband made me a strawberry smoothie with lots of healing yogurt mixed in. Feeling a little rejuvenated, I showered and picked the children up from school. Only to arrive home and crash again. I got up at supper time and we took the planned trip into town for my birthday supper. I chose Panera Bread for a bread bowl filled with French Onion Soup. Good, but I could only swallow about 6 bites.

OK, here's where it gets really good. The so-called plan was to then, hang out at the fabulous Kim Riley's home with her and her hubby and another couple from church. I figured I could handle that kind of relaxation after being sick for the past 18 hours.

Uh, no. My Beloved drives us to the church....with around, I dunno, 30+ people waiting to congratulate me into my 30's. They had pulled off "The Surprise Party". Only problem is. I'm half-sick and not in the best of moods, and my looks matched my attitude. Luckily, I was overwhelmed with the 'blessing-ness' of the entire day and thoroughly enjoyed the evening....after the first 5 minutes. :)

The table I did not get to enjoy. It was a chocolate fest!



But I did take home 2 plate-loads to enjoy over the next couple days. You can't really see her, but to my left, facing me, in the above picture is the notorious Kim Riley. My Beloved requested her gifting and amazingness to pull off this night. My great friend, LeAnn, (elder's wife) is sitting to her left and is her ever-perky sidekick.

Aaaand, the gift table was LOADED as well.


This is what the pile looks like, unwrapped. The suggested gift was a coffee mug with the person's name printed on the bottom so I can pray for them each time I use that particular mug. Not everyone did this but I got a massive stash of mugs and coffee too. As well as, candles, jewelry and some other way fun stuff!



You must know I'm THRILLED to finally be in my 30's. For real. No mourning 29 here. I'm actually totally looking forward to 32. I don't know why, but I am.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

30 and absolutely fabulous...sick and all! What a sweet blessing! Nice load of mugs too- You have one for each day of the month, twice!

Chelle said...

How sweet that they wanted to bless you like that! And you look pretty dang good for someone who wasn't feeling well! :-)

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Oh, happy, happy birthday, sweet friend! You are gorgeous. And too stinkin' young.

Mary said...

Oh I totally missed out on your birthday!! What a crumb I am!! I must say though, that women over 30 are the most fabulous people. Well, you were fabulous before, but NOW dear girl, you are awesomely fabulous! HA! Glad you're feeling better. p.s. the pre-wedding mantra really really works. Course it helps when the couple has such a crazy time with the pastor who's going to marry them and his darling wife!! love you bunches!

Urban Girl said...

I had to laugh when I read this post! My husband threw a surprise party for me when we were dating. We were supposed to be going the gym to workout one night, when he said he had to make one shop first. I want in with him to run his "errand" only to discover 30 of my friends there...and me, in my workout clothes and no makeup...LOL...oh well - it was a great party. Sounds like you have a wonderful husband and friends!

btw, I have a agree with Rachelle - you look pretty good for being sick!

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

Happy 30th! Sorry you were sick. You looked great though!

I'm 32 and it ROCKS! In a couple of weeks I'll be 33 and I totally expect it to ROCK as well.

Did your kids know about the party? I'm impressed if they kept that big of a secret. Mine couldn't do it. None of them.

javamamma said...

My two older girls (7&9) knew about the party, not my 4 year old. (she was still wondering why we weren't going to Kim's :>) I can't believe the girls did such a great job at keeping a secret - I didn't suspect a thing.

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DANI!!
30's are pretty cool. :)
I am so sorry that you were feeling ill for your party, but you still looked gaw-jus! ;)

carrie said...

Hi! Clicked over from Hallie's blog...

The thirties are great! They have been for me anyway. Not really sure why, but I just finally feel comfortable in my skin or something. And people don't treat me like such a naive baby anymore. I kinda like that.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, you're so young -so beautiful - and look so good while sick!

I just turned ehem....39 a couple of weeks ago and how I miss 30!

luvmyboys said...

This is awesome!! That was really cool of Mitch. I can relate to you though, on my 29th birthday I was puking! Dustin had this scavenger hunt all set up using his basketball girls and some lady friends of mine from the church with gifts at all the places. I was so sick I slept all day and so he had to scratch his plans and just gave me the gifts, haha! The thought counted though.

gail said...

happy belated b-day! my 30's were great! enjoy.

love the idea of coffee mugs with the names on the bottom so one can pray for the person. i may need to request that come december =)

gail in idaho

EEEEMommy said...

Happy (belated) birthday! I wasn't disappointed to turn 30 either. I was so glad that I'd never hear another person say, "You're not 30 yet?!?!" 31 was a different matter; being 30 was one thing, being "thirty-something" threw me for a loop. But at 33 I'm over it. :)

I hope you're feeling better and got to enjoy all that chocolate! :)

Grace and Peace,
Angel

ConservaChick said...

Happy Birthday!!!!! Just to tell ya, I was totally excited to FINALLY turn 30, really I was, but a few weeks after I actually did, I got depressed about it. Now I'm a few weeks from 31 and dreading it... but hey it sounds like 32 is a good year... ~Karlie