Tuesday, June 19, 2007

sippin' coffee til I puke

Is there such a thing as too much coffee in a small period of time? If so, I experienced it. My Beloved had the great idea of running into town to Starbuck's for the afternoon. We packed up our kids, their books, his books and my VBS stuff and drove the 15 minutes to the nearest Starbuck's.

I ordered my traditional, grande Carmel Macchiato. Got just a couple sips into that and we were offered a free VENTI Mocha Frappucino that they had made by accident for someone. Can't pass that up. Only I forgot that My Beloved wouldn't be helping me with that drink for fasting reasons.

So I sipped one then the other until they were both pretty much gone. THEN, the barista brings over two cute little cups of Breakfast Blend because she was doing a tasting. I drank mine and then My Beloved's because he wasn't impressed.

Now, I feel like I'm gonna throw up. Ugh. We also brought home a small bag of Komodo Dragon and Cafe Estima. The manager - whom we've gotten to know pretty well ;o) - gave them to us to try after having a conversation with My Beloved about acidity in coffee. My Beloved, like the manager, likes a bold coffee that's not acid-y. He gave us a mini lesson about which kinds of coffee beans that would be. Turns out that Latin American beans are usually more acidic than Pacific or Asian blends. Huh.

Needless to say, that taste-testing will not be held until tomorrow!

8 comments:

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

You have rightfully earned the name Javamamma! That is a whole lotta java!

Anonymous said...

Wish I would have been there with ya!
Although I did have some great french press this morning at a friends house.

Thanks for the coffee lesson. I'm with Mitch and the manager. My fav is Sulawesi which I'm pretty sure (?) is a pacific blend.

javamamma said...

Yeah, they made the Breakfast Blend with the French Press. I gotta get me one of those. And, yeah, I think you're right about the Sulawesi. Maybe we'll try that next.

Chelle said...

Hmmmm...I didn't know that about coffee acidity. Thanks for the lesson. I'm not sure if I could handle that much coffee either, but an afternoon at Starbucks sounds wonderful!

ConservaChick said...

You and my husband... INSANE coffee drinkers. That much coffee would make me so hyper I would explode! So tell me, are you going to take a few days off? I once ate Oreos until I puked and couldn't;t eat them for a year.. of course I was 8. ~Karlie

Todd said...

Best coffee I have had was in DC at the 5 car (not star)GaragMahal aka the guys dorms. We french-pressed Sulawesi each morning at 5:45am and added french vanilla creamer (carnation only and not the lite junk). This was premo java!
Arabic beans from Ethiopa are said to be the best and are from the origin of coffee beans.

By the way am I the only guy who reads your blog Dani?

Kimmie said...

Okay-perhaps this manager at Starbucks is not really your friend...friends don't make their friends drink so much coffee that they feel the need to puke! ;-)

Well, sounds like maybe now you know how much is 'too much' coffee for you...hmmm, or maybe not-LOL!

Wish we could get together for "a" cup of coffee...would like to get to know you better ;-)

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

javamamma said...

Todd: French Press...gotta get me one of those! As for the only guy who reads my blog - you're the only one who's revealed himself anyway. But I know someone named Mitch does, but he stays a lurker. :o)