Wednesday, April 04, 2007

He began a revolution

Today I started scanning through "The Barbarian Way" again. I read it last fall and thought it was excellent. I thought I'd share a few thoughts but checked to see what I'd shared from the first time I read it.....um, nada. How did that happen? Guess I moved onto the next book too quickly. Anyway.

"...When Christianity becomes just another religion, it focuses on what God requires. Just to keep people in line, we build our own Christian civilization and then demand that everyone who believes in Jesus become a good citizen.

It's hard to imagine that Jesus would endure the Cross just to keep us in line. Jesus began a revolution to secure our freedom. The new covenant that He established puts its trust not in the law, but in the transforming power of God's Spirit living within us. The revolution of the human heart would fuel the life and vitality of this movement. We would delight in God, and He would give us the desires of our hearts. With our hearts burning for God, we would move forward with the freedom to pursue the passions burning within us."

Right on, Mr. McManus.

4 comments:

Chelle said...

This seems to be a theme that's resounding among a large group of Christians today. God is really calling us past our comfort zones into faith-filled, passionate pursuit of Him. Awesome!

Anonymous said...

You have on your highly recommended reads list Grace based Parenting. Could you tell me more about where the book heads?

Shari

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Hey girl!
I tried to post on your mamma blog, but couldn't...so I'll post here.
Thanks for the excerpt..it sure gives us something to think about!
BTW, I think that you chose wisely to give your little one grace on the mirror thing. That is just as important to learn as consequences, so you did well!

Mary said...

I say AMEN! And dare I say, Bring on the fire O God, that my heart would burn with passion for Him and passion for His Kingdom! Blessings.