Tuesday, January 30, 2007

perks

Sheesh, it's wicked cold outside today. A miserable day to choose to shop for all the necessities a family of 5 needs for 2 1/2 weeks. Yowsers. Regardless, I did it and we made it home.

Yesterday we had to make a quick run to the closer grocery store for milk and apple juice. The true necessities of our lives. Anyways, in the process we had a grandly blessed time, in the financial arena.

1. A used chair, in good condition, for $25.

2. Driving through McDonald's for a quick cup of coffee to find out that coffee is FREE on Mondays.

3. Looking again at the fleece jackets Wal-Mart has on clearance - finding a plum colored one I hadn't seen my previous 5 times looking. It happens to be reversible. Bought it for $10.

4. Walking a little further down the aisle and finding a pink and brown coat - well a double coat, with one piece also being reversible. I bought it for $20. My husband and I decided I got 5 coats for $30. Not bad.

I love the blessing of walking with Jesus. The perks, material and non-material, are incredible!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our furnice stopped working in the middle of the night (which didn't SEEM like a perk at first). However, we were shown where the filter goes (very, very good! We had NO idea)got the furnace completely cleaned, found out that all the duct work had been cleaned, new pilot ignighter(sp?), new thermostat and new circuit board. ...for $55! Is that unbelievable? Practically a brand new furnace and the house had been almost hot at 66 degrees!

wow that was long......

javamamma said...

a working furnace is VERY good.

Anonymous said...

It has been awhile since I had time to just sit at the computer. I have enjoyed catching up on your blog tonight. Our God is good, even in the little things!

Shari

Nen said...

you shopper you!!! good bargains...

thanks for your musical suggestions - if I had to buy a Hillsongs CD tomorrow... what do you recommend.

ok, so I don't HAVE to, but I am going to... does that count? :)

Anonymous said...

Nice shopping! I love finding little surprises like that!

Anonymous said...

So are you having to wear all 5 at the same time?

Anonymous said...

5 Coats for $30? Ugh, my anti Walmart resolve is rapidly diminishing! I feel like I've got a great deal getting 1 coat for $30... oh I have so much to learn. So, are you liking it over here at blogger? I'm considering making the switch due to the never ending comment issues. I may... I may not. I'm tired of making decisions lately, so I just wont make any for awhile! Blessings, Karlie

javamamma said...

Yeah, cool huh. I sure there's reasons to pretty much boycott every business there is. But honest truth, we could NEVER have afforded to live without the Wal-Mart prices. Rough, but true.

That said, I've found some pretty kickin' clearance prices at Kohl's though too. Like last spring I bought my kids good, quality coats - for like $7 each, originally $50-$70. So actually it's just about hittin' the clearance racks right. :o)

Oh, and this comment moderation thing - very good. I like it here.